Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Living Perfectly

I will behave wisely in a perfect way. Oh, when will You come to me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart. Ps. 101:2 (NKJV) I am beginning my journey through the Psalms by reading a devotional compilation of certain Psalms before I actually return and read straight through the book itself. This morning Ps 101:2 hit me with great force as I read it in the NKJV for the first time and read the repetition of the word "perfect." We go to great lengths in our teachings to remind ourselves and others that we are imperfect, sinful people who will never reach perfection this side of heaven. Sometimes, though, I think we use that as an excuse to not strive toward perfection. I am so greatly convicted of this in my own life. How do I strive toward perfection in my life? There is only one way - that way is to seek the Lord in all I do. David said that he would walk within his house "with a perfect heart." In my mind's eye, I can see David deliberately making each step fall in line with the will of God - each action, each decision, each response. I am so challenged to make that my way of life. I am challenged to walk through my house in perfection. Even as I type this I am dealing with my children and struggling with that perfection. Each word proceeding from my mouth is reminding me what a challenge this truly is and how very, very far I am from this goal. But even this - even knowing that a lifetime is not long enough to redo what I've learned thus far in my life - will not deter me. My goal will be to walk perfectly within my house.

No comments: