Friday, March 13, 2009

Setting My Mind

Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. Col 3:2 (NASB) Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely , whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you. Phil 4:8-9 (NASB) I almost didn't post a challenge this morning. My mind was wandering, and I wasn't sure that I could even hear the Lord this morning. It was quite a discouraging place to be, and I felt like I was fighting a losing battle. But, can I remind you how faithful our Lord is? He will never turn away from us, even in those times when we are nowhere near a right focus on Him. As I closed my Bible and prepared to get started with the day, these two verses filled my mind. Literally filled. For the first time all morning I was focused because they were the only things I was thinking about - a sharp contrast to the jumble of random thoughts I'd been fighting throughout the morning prayer time and Bible reading. My Lord was answering my plea for help by filling my mind with His Word. It's so much easier to focus on Him, on prayer, on His voice when my mind is full of His Word. I was struck with two challenges. First is the obvious...obey these verses. Period. This is where my mind should be. Even if it simply means replaying these verses over and over in my mind to help me focus, so be it. The second challenge should be just as obvious...be ever more diligent to hide God's Word in my heart. Ps 94:19 says this, "When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your consolations delight my soul." His consolations are found in His Word. It's hard for His consolations to delight my soul if I don't have them in my head. There are so many other verses about His Word and its power and strength and usefulness, but Ps. 94:19 is the one that came to my mind simply because my thoughts were anxious this morning as I struggled to focus. I must learn His Word and meditate on it day and night. Thank you, my Father, that even when I can't seem to focus my mind no matter how hard I try, You step in and give me exactly what I need. I am overwhelmed by Your hand of help! I am humbled by Your gentleness! I am restored by the power of Your Word! I thank You for restoring a song of praise to my lips, and I praise You with joy in this moment. I love You, Lord!

No comments: