Friday, March 27, 2009

Peace Before the Storm

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Phil 4:6-7 (NASB) This is one of my life verses. In fact, almost all of Phil 4 has heavily impacted my life on more than one occasion. Today I am reminded of it again. We often talk about God's peace in the midst of the storm, but what about when we know the storm is coming? In our case today, it's literal storms. Doug and I have come through several major storms relatively unscathed in our ten years of marriage, but we have no assurance that tonight will be the same. We are in an area of very severe risk of tornadoes as a system moves through tonight. I look through my house realizing that there is a true possibility that everything I own could be gone when tomorrow morning dawns. My challenge isn't so much for today as for a permanent reminder that what we own is just stuff and truly all that matters is where I stand with Christ. Am I truly willing to let go of everything and still stand in peace with Christ? Stuff is one thing...what about my family? Ouch. I'll give up the stuff, but I don't even want to think about giving up my family. Today I'm challenged to once again walk in the peace of Christ, knowing that storms are coming. Not just the literal storms...many challenges are in our future, both foreseen and unforeseen. I am challenged to stand in His peace no matter what and to use what He has given me today knowing that tomorrow may be completely different - but He will always be the same!

No comments: