Thursday, March 5, 2009

Soft Spoken

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. Prov 15:1 (NASB) I have noticed something about my speech lately - it's not gentle. When I'm speaking to my children, they often think I'm upset with them when I'm really not. Other times I'm irritable, but I shouldn't be. I get frustrated when they are tearful, but I'm beginning to think that it might be because of my tone of voice. I just tend to be harsh-spoken in my home. I am a pastor's wife, so how I present myself to my church and to people in this city is very important. But, in all honesty, those presentations don't hold a candle to how I present myself in my home to my family. How I carry myself here at home is the "real" me. I can easily put on a front in public, but at home is the real test. At home I am harsh. There is a time for firmness, but not harshness. I am challenged to make sure that my habit is gentle speech, even when it must be firm. I am challenged to make sure that my children know that even a firm tone is a loving one. I must give gentle answers.

1 comment:

Stephanie Kay said...

Ouch! I think I need to read this one every day!!