Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Steadfast Mind

The steadfast of mind You will keep in perfect peace, because he trusts in You. Isaiah 26:3 (NASB) Such a simple statement. It should be easy, right? Just focus our thoughts and attention on the Lord, and we'll have perfect peace. I must confess, it's not easy for me right now. There's nothing I've struggled with more lately than a wandering mind. No, it's nothing horribly bad or lustful or ungodly or anything like that - or is it? In our society we have our grades of sin and disobedience, and if it's not blatantly disobedient to the commands of God, it's okay, right? The truth is, the thoughts I struggle with are disobedient. Period. Why? Because they keep me from that perfect peace. I start to pray, and my mind wanders to this or that. It's not even anything specific - it's just that five minutes later I realize I'm not praying anymore. And guess what - that's not in line with what God has instructed me to do. I am to take my thoughts captive! I am to know what it is I'm thinking about. I have been told to keep my mind on things above, to be steadfast. And I have fallen short. I am hungering so greatly for a refocused mind. It seems that not long ago I was there. I would go through my day with incredible times of focus and prayer. I don't really know what happened, but that discipline slid. Now it must be restored. I must take those thoughts captive and be of a steadfast mind.

No comments: