Thursday, March 26, 2009

Mental Shift

Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. Psalms 46:10 (KJV) Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth. Psalms 46:10 (NASB) As I read this verse this morning, it literally jumped off the page - partially because the wording is so different in the NASB than what many of us grew up knowing in the KJV. The difference has struck me before, but this morning it directly spoke to where I am right now. I have frequently taken this verse to mean that I need to stop and give the Lord 100% of my attention, focus, and energy. But, this morning it struck me a little differently. I am always doing something that engages my brain. If my primary activity doesn't engage my brain (blogging, reading, teaching school, etc), then there is definitely a secondary activity that does. Don't waste a second, right? An example? Well, while I'm folding clothes I listen to a child read or have something that I've been meaning to listen to playing on the computer. My brain is always engaged. I've struggled a lot lately with prayer and praise. I have had trouble keeping my focus on them. Now I see it's no wonder - I really haven't left any opportunity to do so! Regardless of what my body is doing, if my brain is engaged with something every second of the day, then I leave no brain power for prayer. See, I don't split my attention very well. I need to focus on one thing or the other. So, I'm challenged today to cease striving. I'm challenged to stop trying to pack every moment so full mentally that I can't focus on my Savior. It needs to be okay for me to just fold clothes or just wash dishes or whatever without an additional and intentional mental task to go with it. No, that's wrong - I do need an intentional mental task...the task of prayer and praise, and that alone!

No comments: