Thursday, May 28, 2009

All from Him!

Teach me to do Your will, for You are my God; let Your good Spirit lead me on level ground. Psalms 143:10 (NASB) This morning I read a quote by Althea Gibson. The quote was, "No matter what accomplishments you make, somebody helped you." My eyes just happened to fall on the quote as I finished my devotional time and was jotting some notes on yesterday's planner page. It came after I read Psalm 143:10, but it really reinforced the thought that began with the Psalm. With my words I say that I belong to Christ. I try to make my actions say the same thing. But, there are also so many times when I take credit for my own accomplishments - times when I am personally proud of my growth. The truth is that I cannot learn and grow without the Lord's instruction and guidance. I do not have the power within me to become more like Christ without the presence of the Holy Spirit to make it happen. I'm really good at falling back into a sinful pattern, but when it comes to choosing the right way, I have to have the instruction of my God - the guidance of the Holy Spirit. The "somebody" who has helped me is the Lord. He's done it in many ways - through my circumstances, through putting the right people in my path, or through strengthening me from within and through His Word. But, regardless of the method, the growth is from Him. Always. I must not only acknowledge His hand, but I must also always seek out His guidance and teaching, for I am His.

No comments: