Monday, May 11, 2009

Not Eager to be Angry

Do not be eager in your heart to be angry, for anger resides in the bosom of fools. Eccl 7:9 (NASB) When I first read this verse I thought, "Oh, come on. I'm not ever eager to be angry. Sometimes I just struggle with it more than other times." But, the honest truth is that sometimes I do act like I'm eager to be angry. I mull over irritating things in my head. I pounce on every little thing the kids do, not giving them any room to make mistakes or be...well, be kids! True, I don't like being angry, but when I don't stand firm against anger - when I don't let a soft answer turn away wrath (Prov 15:1) or when I don't choose to fill my mind with the things of Phil 4:8 - I am acting as if I'm eager to be angry! Ouch! That's not something I really want to admit. But, it's something I need to admit so that I can change and grow.

No comments: