Saturday, May 9, 2009

Abiding

Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. John 15:4 (NASB) I am reading in Ecclesiastes right now. It could be rather depressing reading, considering the concept that everything we do is meaningless. But, the same day I started reading Ecclesiastes, I was also reminded of the passage in John 15 about the vine and the branches. It is true - everything I do on this earth is pretty pointless and meaningless on its own. Day in and day out I try in vain to keep this house in order. Day in and day out I put my heart and soul into teaching my children, often battling through it all. I pay bills, but they come back up again the next month. I cook meals only to have to do it all over again in a few hours. It could all get pretty depressing. But, the glorious truth is that I don't have to do any of those things for the immediate, earthly results. I am told to do all that I do in such a way as to glorify my Savior. I must abide in Him! Suddenly everything I do does have meaning, and it is a beautiful one! Oh how often I forget why I'm here. If I will mentally focus on abiding in Him, what glorious joy I can find in even the most mundane of daily tasks!

No comments: