Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I am His!

But as for me, I will watch expectantly for the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation. My God will hear me. Do not rejoice over me, O my enemy. Though I fall I will rise; though I dwell in darkness, the LORD is a light for me. I will bear the indignation of the LORD because I have sinned against Him, until He pleads my case and executes justice for me. He will bring me out to the light, and I will see His righteousness. Micah 7:7-9 (NASB) Micah 7 deals with the corrupt nature of the world in which we live. It is quite the reminder that there is nothing new under the sun. Society in ancient Israel was just as corrupt and hostile to submission to God as our society is now - and they were supposed to be God's chosen people! But, verses seven through nine get very personal, and that is what grabbed me this morning. I struggle through my days. The more I grow, the more obvious my sin is. Things I used to just consider a part of my personality I now see as rebellion against my Savior. It's enough to discourage me into depression, seeing so clearly how I do not measure up. But, this passage is so beautiful because it reminds me that even though I will have to bear the consequences of my sin and the discipline of the Lord, there are a couple of things that I can always remember.
  1. He will still hear me when I raise my voice to Him in faith, repentance, and obedience. He still hears! I am His for the rest of eternity, and there is nothing that can change that! That brings tears to my eyes and a song to my heart.
  2. The discipline is not eternal. He is just, and that justice covers me. His goal is not to punish me forever, but to discipline me into submission to Him that I might dwell in His life-giving presence.
I am always His. I can always delight and rejoice in Him, in the midst of struggle and even in the midst of discipline. I just have to remember that truth and dwell in it!

No comments: