Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Every Moment in Submission

An ox knows its owner, and a donkey its master's manger, but Israel does not know, my people do not understand. Isaiah 1:3 (NASB) Recently I taught through portions of Isaiah in Sunday school. Now I'm back to it in my regular read-through-the-Bible reading. It's amazing how boldly chapter one stood out to me, almost as if I'd never read it before even though I worked through it very recently! Chapter one is all about rebellion - about people choosing their way instead of God's. In total and complete honesty, my desire and my goal are to live my life with God as my Master. I'm not trying to brag or boast - that really is my heart. That's what His Word calls me to do, and that is what I so greatly want to do! But, as I read verse three, I realized that there are so many times when I do not acknowledge His authority over every little detail of my lives. Oxen and donkeys have no life on their own. And they know who's in charge. I have asked myself this question many times, but it seems I need to regularly come back to it; in fact, I'll probably have to come back to it now and then throughout the rest of my life! The question is this...do I live each moment of each day in reflection of the fact that my life is not my own? Do I acknowledge that I belong completely to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ? Not just in the whole grand scheme of things, but in every moment? Do I truly grasp the significance of His control over every moment? Oh, how I want to live that way! Doug and I have awakened every morning lately to the song "All at War" by Downhere. It ties in to what is going through my mind as I ponder Isaiah 1 this morning. I want to close by sharing those lyrics with you.
08. All At War Ending Is Beginning by downhere Listen:
Lyrics: I'm learning to stand the more that I fall down, It's the law of inversion, and it's all turned around, And I'm staggered by the clash inside my soul, So purposed for good but inclined for evil It's justice and mercy the old dichotomies, All along the frontlines of my heart in both doubt and belief The sinner and saint, the old arch enemies,\ All at war, in me I was born depraved, but created for the divine, With death in my bones, in my heart eternal life, I'd love for Eden, but I'd kill for Rome, I'm native in a land that is not my home You are the beginning, and you are the end, Into your great reversal, I am born again, A beautiful redemption, you leverage even sin In me your final victory, I know you'll win Into light, from the shadows, Into life, from the grave, Into love, Into love

No comments: