Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Eternal Promises

As I have read and studied through Isaiah and Micah this quarter, I have been so incredibly struck by His promises. One hundred years before the exile, God not only told His people they would be taken into captivity for their rebelliousness, He also told them that they would be restored seventy years after that! Meanwhile, there are prophecies galore about the second coming of Christ and the establishment of His eternal kingdom. I have such a narrow view of promises. If something I am waiting for has not come to fruition in a day or two - a couple of weeks at the most - I get irritable and downhearted. But reading these prophets has reminded me that the promises of God really have little to do with the progress of my brief daily life here on earth. They have to do with His eternal promise. I go through making my day to day plans when His Word clearly warns me against it (Pr 27:1 and James 4:13-17). Then when my plans fall apart I complain to the Lord about it and He has to redirect my heart yet again. His promises are so much grander than my little plans. My heart has swelled with the amazing beauty of all He has promised. The visions of His return and His kingdom have exploded in my heart and mind through these reading more powerfully than ever before. I am in awe. I am filled with excitement and anticipation. So, my challenge? My challenge is to live like my daily plans are a drop in the bucket and His eternal promises are everything! What a victorious life I'd live if I truly were to face each day that way!

No comments: