Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Fulfilling His Word

It just dawned on me that, thanks to the intense storms of the morning, I never posted today's challenge! So, here goes... Praise the LORD from the earth, sea monsters and all deeps; fire and hail, snow and clouds; stormy wind, fulfilling His word; Psalms 148:7-8 (NASB, emphasis mine) We were awakened just before 5:00 this morning to very intense wind - I believe the report was that 60 mph winds came through with the storm. From the sounds of things - and the aftermath that I've heard and seen - I believe it! Once we realized that the early morning tornado was going to skirt just north of town, we settled down to have our devotional times while keeping an ever-vigilant eye and ear on the weather reports just in case we needed to dash to the kids' rooms and grab them out of their beds. It was in the midst of this that I read Psalm 148. "Stormy wind, fulfilling His word." I'd been thinking of the stormy winds with a bit of nervousness and uncertainty. But, the moment I read this, my heart calmed. Everything that happens is in the hands of the Lord. There is nothing - absolutely nothing - that is outside of His control. I just stand in awe of my God! He is so powerful, so amazing, so wonderful! Even nature itself is ordained to fulfill His Word! The massive five-hour storm we endured this morning was nothing for Him to control. And, He uses me. Gently. Lovingly. Yet powerfully. I don't know that I can articulate a true challenge from this passage, other than that I was once again motivated to go deeper in my usefulness to Him and my praise of Him. Each and every day I must grow more pliable in His hand. Each day I must be less visible and He must be more. And each day I must see more and more of Him all around me. He's there. What a thought.

No comments: