Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Sluggard or Diligent?

The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, but the soul of the diligent is made fat. Prov 13:4 (NASB) As I read this, I was quite convicted. I thought about the times when I'm not diligent to get up when I'm supposed to in the mornings. I go through the day wishing for more sleep and feeling exhausted all the time. I thought about the days when I don't push myself to complete my household obligations. I look around and bemoan the fact that my house is a mess and I am overwhelmed by it. It seems impossible to tame the chaos! I thought about the days when I snack away and don't discipling my body in the way of eating. On those days I might not have gained a pound, but my clothes feel like I've gained five pounds and a healthy body seems impossible to obtain. When I'm diligent, on the other hand, the contrast is amazing! I feel more rested when I get up regularly and discipline myself to go to bed. When I'm diligent to fulfill my responsibilities at home, the house isn't overwhelming (even if it's not always spotless!) and I seem to have more time for the other things I enjoy. When I'm diligent with the foods I put into my body, I'm rarely hungry and don't crave things that dissatisfy. I'm more confident with where I am health-wise and more encouraged about making progress with my health. Diligence is such an amazing thing! I am challenged to commit this verse to my heart - God will use it to remind me each time I start acting like that sluggard!

No comments: