Sunday, May 3, 2009

Hope and Strength

He gives strength to the weary, and to him who lacks might He increases power. Though youths grow weary and tired, and vigorous young men stumble badly, yet those who wait for the LORD will gain new strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary. Isaiah 40:29-31 (NASB) I think today I'm a bit lethargic. Maybe it's the gloom. Maybe it's the fact that I slept decently when I slept, but was awakened multiple times thanks to kids, cats, storms, and a weather radio (which eventually was turned off!). Maybe it's because we have a different and busy Sunday ahead of us, and I'm trying to gear up for it. Whatever the case, I struggled through my devotional time, had to work hard to focus in prayer, and have just felt tired this morning. I opened my prayer calendar and saw Isaiah 40:29-31 listed as the first passage for prayer and praise today! How appropriate is that! This has long been one of my favorite passages, alone with much of Philippians 4. Even as I have sat here munching on some breakfast and typing this post, I have felt Him renew my strength. I feel less tired and more ready to face the day. My hope cannot be founded on how well I slept, whether or not the sun is shining, or what the day's schedule looks like. It can't be founded on the condition of my heart and mind. Even in those times when nothing profound jumps out at me from Scripture and I seem to drag through my time with the Lord, I cannot let my hope be lost. Hope has to be based on the fact that I can have complete and perfect peace in my Lord and Savior. He is my rock, no matter what my environment or mental condition. And when I hope in Him, my strength is restored. Thank You, Lord!

No comments: