Monday, May 18, 2009

Complacent or Actively Learning?

The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out. Prov 18:15 (NIV) I can't remember her exact words, but my mom used to always say something along the lines of this...the day you stop learning, you start dying. That thought has stayed with me through the years, especially as I've watched her example. She hasn't just been content to learn what comes her way naturally. She's been determined to seek out learning experiences. When we actively pursue knowledge, sometimes it results in a mass of information from which we pick and choose the wisdom; sometimes it results in a temporary fad in our lives that is tempered as time passes; sometimes it results in a definite 180 degree turnaround that stays with us for the rest of our lives. Whatever the case, it always results in growth and a continuation of life. I have to admit, there are days when I just go through life very content with where I am knowledge-wise. I am willing to learn more, but I don't seek it out - I don't pursue it. I've been challenged lately in that area because I've been in the process of reviewing books for Thomas Nelson Publishing and for author Kathi Macias. I've also been teaching Sunday school and facilitating a Bible study this quarter. I have been learning out of necessity. I am challenged, though, to continue that - to seek that out - even when the natural course of my responsibilities don't insist upon it. "Acquire" and "seek out" are actions. I must move from passiveness to activity!

No comments: