Sunday, April 19, 2009

This will be written for the generation to come, that a people yet to be created may praise the LORD. Psalms 102:18 (NASB) So many times in Scripture, the Lord reminds His people to make a memorial or to record words specifically for the purpose of encouraging children to ask about them. Much effort was made to pass down tradition orally, but sometimes there needed to be concrete, visual reminders that encouraged the children to specifically ask. How many concrete, tangible markers do I leave about? Growing up, there were a couple of songs I really liked and was drawn to. One was "For Future Generations" by 4HIM and another was "Believer in Deed" by Petra. Both talk about the visible legacy of faith we are leaving behind for those who come after us. Just a few days ago, I read a post by a friend that stirred many of these thoughts up again. And then today I read this verse from Psalm 102. My children - and all those who watch me - will remember things that even I don't remember. They will see moments in my life, read things I write, listen to words I say, and watch my actions. I leave markers all the time. What do they say? Do they encourage my children and others to ask questions, or do they speak loudly on their own? Either way, do they actively point to Christ? I am challenged to intentionally and actively live my life in such a way that others may be incited to follow and praise the Lord because of me.

No comments: