Tuesday, April 28, 2009

God's Incredible Word

If Your law had not been my delight, then I would have perished in my affliction. Psalms 119:92 (NASB) Your word I have treasured in my heart, that I may not sin against You. Psalms 119:11 (NASB) All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work. 2 Tim 3:16-17 (NASB) Psalm 119 is a treasure-trove of praise for the Word of God. I used to dread it because of its length - now I devour it. It awakens in me new passions each time I read it. Today was no exception. Verse 92 was the only verse of these three in this morning's reading, but as I mulled over it, verse 11 came to mind. Then as I was preparing for tonight's Bible study I saw how the 2 Timothy passage fit in. God's Word is so incredibly powerful. It prepares us for everything we could possible face in life. But, the problem is that so many times we wait until we're in the middle of a need before we seek the wisdom of God's Word. These three verses all seem to indicate that we just might be doing it backwards. The indication here is that when the need arises, we are prepared because we already have the Word within in - we already have a familiarity with its wisdom. Oh how often I fail on that account. I stumble and struggle because I have not been open to God's teaching through His Word in the calm times. The more I get into the Word, the more I see that I have so much yet to learn. It's easy to get overwhelmed and wonder how in the world I will ever succeed in learning it all. But, the truth is that God gives me everything I need when I need it if I will just heed His teaching! So, I'm motivated anew to learn, to truly dig, and to listen oh so intently. His Word is amazing!

No comments: