Friday, April 3, 2009

Delayed Reward

The wise will inherit honor, but fools display dishonor. Prov 3:35 (NASB) I was always a perfectionistic people pleaser who hated to upset people but loved to make them proud. I've somewhat eased off of that - in a good way, I hope - and tried to lean more to the idea of pleasing God instead. One thing that stood out to me as I read this verse, though, was that sometimes the biggest sign that I'm walking in the wisdom of the Lord might be the lack of immediate reward. It might be that people don't respond well to what I say and do. To inherit something indicates a delay - a bestowal at a later time. That can be hard for me, because a lot of times I feel the need for reinforcement that I'm truly saying and doing the right thing. I must not seek that reinforcement in honor bestowed by man. I must seek that reinforcement in the more abstract - the peace granted me by my Father when I am walking in Him. That in and of itself is my confirmation, and the reward will come when I am able to live for eternity in His presence.

No comments: