Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Best Desire

Nor let the eunuch say, "Behold, I am a dry tree." For thus says the LORD, "To the eunuchs who keep My sabbaths, and choose what pleases Me, and hold fast My covenant, to them I will give in My house and within My walls a memorial, and a name better than that of sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name which will not be cut off." Isaiah 56:3b-5 (NASB) I am having a hard time putting into words why this passage stood out to me so greatly this morning. As I read it, I wondered how many times I have realized that a desire of mine was not in line with the will of the Lord. I've surrendered it to Him, but also have clung to the sadness of letting that desire go. In doing so, I have lost some of the joy of the gift that is greater than any earthly desire fulfilled - the gift of salvation. God gives me the absolute best. And yet so often I still pine after these earthly desires just as a eunuch might have pined over the fact that he could never bear children to carry on his name. I am challenged to grow in this - to decrease my pining for desires of this earth and increase my joy and delight in the Lord Himself.

No comments: