Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Active Waiting

What is being impressed upon my heart today is a thought that has been developing as I have been reading various passages of Scripture lately. It's something I've been impressed with before, but as I was reflecting this morning, I realized the Lord has been reminding me of it over the past week or so. The thought is this...active waiting. I tend to be a person who sees something coming in the future and is ready to take action upon it right now. When God has begun to tell us to make a move, I've wanted to go find a place to live, get all of the details lined up, and get everything ready while I wait for moving day to actually arrive. When there hasn't been anything to do, I've gotten restless. In those times, the Lord has had to remind me to wait. But, He's also had to remind me that waiting is not just sitting around doing nothing. As I've read through my Scripture readings in Isaiah, Psalms, Proverbs, and various other places through God's Word, I have seen clear reminders that waiting involves several things...constant prayer, thanksgiving, pursuit of wisdom, pursuit of peace, and continual glorification of God. I am challenged to see a long-term change in my mentality of waiting. I don't have to have earthly busyness during the waiting. I have to have eternal diligence to actively wait. It's something I've been able to do off and on through my life, but now I am feeling challenged to discipline who I am such that my mentality of waiting is God's way every time.

2 comments:

Doug Hibbard said...

I've been actively waiting on this since I saw you writing it this morning...

Choate Family said...

Glad God gives you grace to live with such a great guy! It's neat to see how often God is working in both of our lives on parallel tracks.