Saturday, July 3, 2010

Treasure

"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."   Matt 6:20-21 (NASB)

Two days ago I woke up with this verse on my mind.  For some reason I didn't get it written about that day, or even the next, even though I intended to do it both days.  But, it's still there, and it's still fresh on my heart and mind. 

Lately I've been very frustrated by the priorities of other believers.  They say they love the Lord, but it has seemed that their priorities lay everywhere other than in glorifying the Lord.  It'st funny how He always reminds me of my struggles when I grow frustrated with other people. 

The priority of my heart might very well be to honor and glorify Christ in all I do.  But, how many earthly treasures are holding me down from that priority?  How many things do I cling to that distract my heart and mind from my Savior?  If God were to call me to leave everything - and I mean everything - to step out in obedience, what things would I fight letting go of?  Whether possessions, relationships, or conveniences, I know they are there.   

God has surrounded me with amazing provisions.  I am thankful for them.  I desire to utilize them with good stewardship.  But, I cannot cling to them.  They are tools.  If I use them for the sake of glorifying Christ, they are good.  If I cling to them as my treasures, they are not.    So, my challenge is to see them for what they are, tools not treasures; to hold them loosely; to make sure I am using them for the glorification of Christ rather than for the building up of my own treasure trove.  Only then will I truly learn to have treasure in heaven. 

No comments: