Monday, July 5, 2010

Afflictions

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For just as the sufferings of Christ are ours in abundance, so also our comfort is abundant through Christ. But if we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; or if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which is effective in the patient enduring of the same sufferings which we also suffer; and our hope for you is firmly grounded, knowing that as you are sharers of our sufferings, so also you are sharers of our comfort. 2 Cor 1:3-7 (NASB)

As I read and processed these verses today, I began to evaluate my concept of affliction. 
  • Much of my so-called suffering is not for Christ.  Rather, they are self-inflicted because of my choices to live according to this world rather than according to the ways of Christ.  Those 1) don't count and 2) should dramatically decrease in number as I grow. 
  • My afflictions for Christ are not very numerous.  1) I should be thankful that I can live boldly for Him without the suffering that many around the world face for doing so.  2) As I grow more bold for Him, I should be prepared for the number of my affliction for His sake to increase.  
  • I am pretty selfish when it comes to suffering.  I gripe and complain about what I'm going through. 1)When it's the self-inflicted suffering mentioned above, I need to get over my pity party!  2) When it's true affliction for Christ, I should have Paul's attitude - praise because my suffering means someone else's comfort.
All of these evaluations boil down to this: I am challenged to grow in my attitude toward affliction and suffering and to have a more eternally minded view of the things I face here on earth.  If I intend to bring glory to God through everything I do, that much include affliction!  Lord, may You be glorified through me? 

No comments: