Monday, July 26, 2010

Life Debt

…and He died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. 2 Cor 5:15 (NASB)

I must confess that, when I read this verse this morning, the mental picture that came to my mind seemed a bit silly.  The thought that came to mind was that of Han Solo and Chewbacca.  For any of you non-Star Wars folk out there, here’s the back story in a nutshell.  As the evil empire was cementing its foundation and giving the republic and the Jedi (aka the good guys) the boot, Chewbacca’s race – the Wookies – worked against the emperor to help the Jedi.  So, the emperor enslaved the Wookies.  Along comes Han Solo - a smuggler and scoundrel who, in the original movies, becomes a hero of the rebellion – who rescues Chewbacca from a lifetime of slavery.  Chewy pledges his life to Han and the two become fast friends.  Everything Chewy does revolves around his relationship with Han.  Everything.

Such pictures are not just seen in space fiction.  Life debts have been seen in true history – people who are so grateful for the help of another that they pledge their lives to their “saviors”, devoted to them until death. 

Then comes my story.  I was not saved from a lifetime of physical bondage to another human being.  I was saved from the eternal bonds of sin – an infinity of separation from God.  Yet, I happily move on with my life.  Living for  me and what I want.  More than Chewy or any real human being who has ever owed a debt to another person, I should be living my life for Christ and Christ alone.  He is the only reason I’m alive!  He is the reason I am eternal, and will get to spend that eternity with my Creator! 

I recently wrote about longing to be eternally minded.  This is definitely a continuation of that challenge.  Another perspective.  A progression of thought.  The step of living each day for Him and Him alone in my life debt to my Savior, Jesus Christ. 

1 comment:

Uzair said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.