Friday, July 16, 2010

Know the Word

Therefore having such a hope, we use great boldness in our speech, and are not like Moses, who used to put a veil over his face so that the sons of Israel would not look intently at the end of what was fading away.  2 Cor 3:12-13 (NASB)

As I read through these verses and the surrounding passage today, something occurred to me.  Paul expected that these Corinthians knew the Jewish Scriptures.  The story of Moses had been told and retold over and over again, but in very few of the retellings do you find reference to Moses' glowing face.  It's one of those little details that comes from actually going back and knowing the original story. 

When I stop and ponder that concept, I realize how much easier it is for us to know the finer points of Scripture than it would have been for the Corinthian Christians.  There were a few Corinthian Jews who were convinced of the truth of the Gospel of Christ and who would have been able to take their history with them to teach the new converts.  But, it was nothing like what I have around my house.  Every member of my family has a Bible with many extras to be had when needed.  There is no excuse for anyone in my house to not be learning the finer points of the Bible.

God has revealed Himself through this written word we call the Bible.  If I know it, if I am very familiar with it, then as the experiences of daily life come my way, I will have an appropriate filter through which to sort those experiences.  A way to evaluate them in light of the nature of God.  The Spirit speaks to my heart in so many ways - through life, music, my children, other people.  One look at my thoughts blog show that!  But, none of what He says to me will be contrary to the nature of God as revealed in the Bible. 

I suppose it all boils down to this: As each day passes and as I continue to grow, I am challenged more and more to know what Scripture says.  To commit it to memory or, at the very least, to familiarity.  To filter everything through what the Bible teaches me of God and His ways.  This is a challenge that has long been with me, but was just refreshed today.  There is no better way to know the living Word of God than through the written word that has been passed down to us through the centuries.  I hunger to know it more. 

No comments: