Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Sweet Aroma

But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place. For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing; to the one an aroma from death to death, to the other an aroma from life to life. And who is adequate for these things? For we are not like many, peddling the word of God, but as from sincerity, but as from God, we speak in Christ in the sight of God.  2 Cor 2:14-17 (NASB)

These verses have almost pursued me for several days.  I've wanted to read them over and over, to memorize them, to burn them in my heart and mind.  Why?  Because I want these words to be true of me.

Words like "triumph" and "sweet aroma" grabbed me at first.  The thought of "sincerity" in all I do for Christ.  So often as I look at my own life before the Lord I think the opposite thoughts.  I feel like a failure, a stench, and one with selfish rather than sincere motives in what I do. 

Then phrases like "thanks be to God, who always leads us" and "as from God" struck me next.  The key here is that nothing was of Paul.  Paul, on very numerous occasions, referred to his position in his relationship with Christ: he was a slave, a bondservant.  His actions were not his own.  He was Christ's.

I so hunger to be a living testimony of these verses.  To be led by Christ in all things.  For my every action to be of God.  To walk in His triumph (which might not look very triumphant to many people) and to be a sweet aroma to Him.  To be sincere in all I do because my hunger is to do what I am instructed, and that alone.  From my first waking moment to my last. 

No comments: