Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Letter

You are our letter, written in our hearts, known and read by all men; being manifested that you are a letter of Christ, cared for by us, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.  2 Cor 3:2-3 (NASB)

This verse is found in the middle of Paul's reminder to the Corinthian church that he, unlike those who have been trying to teach them false theology, has no need for credentials to prove he is who he says he is.  His reputation among the churches and the apostles is sufficient.  But, as I pondered how these words apply to me, I wondered...what are my credentials?

My sphere of influence is nothing like Paul's.  It is much more limited.  But, as I look at those I do have influence over, I wonder what commendation do they provide?  Can people look at my children and know that I am reliable in spiritual matters?  My marriage?  My home? 

Ultimately, as with Paul, I am accountable to God.  But, also like Paul, those with whom I work are my "letter" - the proof of my faithfulness here on earth, so to speak.  What do their lives say of me?  My hunger is that they show me to be faithful and trustworthy.  My challenge is to hold up my responsibilities that I may not be discredited because of any lack of faithfulness. 

2 comments:

Kristi said...

I say of my sweet friend: you are trustworthy, honest, transparent, lovely, highly valued, and most of all, a light for Him!

The Hibbard Family said...

Thank you so much, my friend! That brought tears to my eyes because I hunger to be that to others!