Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Next Step

All of my life, I’ve heard that I need to have a regular quiet time.  And, I don’t argue with that.  Regular time reading and studying the Bible and spending time in prayer is essential to growth in Christ.  And so, I have striven to learn.  What does it mean to have a real quiet time?  How can I make it more than just being able to check things off the list?  Bible reading: check.  Journal writing: Check.  Prayer: Check. 

Over the past couple of years I have seen more growth in this daily devotional time than ever before in my life.  I’m where I always wanted to be.  It is regular.  It is meaningful.  I learn daily.  I pray regularly.  More than that, I’ve seen the impact it has had on life in general.  I hear the voice of the Lord more clearly throughout each day.  I have more confidence in decision-making, both small and large, which is a big deal for this gal who gets anxious over even the smallest decisions (like what to cook for lunch!). 

It seems I have reached a great place in my walk with Christ.  But, thankfully, I am not satisfied. 

There is no end to growth.  As such, even as I reach this milestone of learning and growth, my eyes are opened to the next step.   Areas of growth that never occurred to me before are rising before me as challenges.  How much deeper the interaction can be!  How much more intimate!  How much more real and ever present!  Oh, how much I need to learn about truly being a child of God.  A full heir.  A desired individual. 

So, my challenge is to take that next step.  To not think I have arrived simply because I’ve accomplished something I have striven for so long to accomplish.  To not think I need a break.  To instead keep going strong, climbing that next step. 

No comments: