Monday, February 28, 2011

Believe the Truth

…for which I suffer hardship even to imprisonment as a criminal; but the word of God is not imprisoned. 2 Tim 2:9

Sometimes when truth about myself slaps me in the face, it can be pretty hard to swallow. It is usually combined with a truth about God, maybe even one I have known all my life. But, when I truly envision myself in relation to that truth about God, I am overwhelmed once again with awe of Him and shame in myself.

Today I am confronted with the realization that I don’t live out the belief that the gospel message of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is unhindered by my circumstances. Instead, I buy into the lie that if my circumstances don’t work out perfectly, His message is compromised. Just typing it out is embarrassing because it’s so obviously ridiculous – heretical even - to think that way! But, if I am honest, I will admit that my actions reflect a belief that my unresolved sufferings reveal a chink in the infallibility of the gospel.

Fortunately for myself and everyone else on this earth, my erroneous beliefs do not affect the truth. The gospel is still infallible. God will always be glorified and His purposes will be accomplished. Not only can my beliefs not hinder Him, neither can my sufferings. If my beliefs aren’t in line with the truth, I will suffer more, and I will not have the amazing privilege of being a vessel through which He is glorified. But His purposes and will are not affected.

So obviously my challenge is to live the truth. The Word of God is always free, and it will always accomplish God’s will. Period.

No comments: