Friday, February 25, 2011

I Need Wisdom

Proverbs 9 compares the homes of wisdom and folly as they prepare them for guests. It shows the steps each takes to build her house and explains how they go about drawing in their guests.

As I was contemplating this chapter, a thought popped into my mind:

It’s so sad that the people who most need wisdom end up with folly instead.

I was immediately ashamed of my thought as I realized its implications. Essentially, my thought implied that I need wisdom less than someone else simply because at some point in my life I have sought wisdom. That I can walk through the streets of life and pass over wisdom’s house while still maintaining the fortitude necessary to avoid folly’s house.

Just for the record, it’s not possible. Wisdom’s house is not for occasional visiting. It’s for residence. And furthermore, I am not in any less need of residence there than anyone else. Without wisdom, I cannot progress through this life.

I am challenged to remember that no one needs wisdom’s refuge more than I. And, as I remember that, may my hunger to see wisdom’s house full drive me to boldly seek out others who will be brought in as well.

No comments: