Sunday, February 13, 2011

Contagious Rejoicing

Then the people rejoiced because they had offered so willingly, for they made their offering to the Lord with a whole heart, and King David also rejoiced greatly. 1 Chron 29:9

As I read this whole chapter at the end of Chronicles, I got excited. The joy and wholeheartedness expressed in 1 Chron 29 is absolutely beautiful.

But, naturally, I was also convicted. What kind of example am I?

Whole-hearted giving produces rejoicing. Rejoicing is contagious. People who see someone else full of joy want that joy. It’s beautiful. It’s precious. It’s a core need for us all. And, so many people, believers and unbelievers alike, hunger to truly know that kind of joy.

I have the secret to that joy. Whole-hearted giving. And, as I sit here and ponder it all, I am convinced that there is really no other way to truly receive that joy.  Especially if we keep in mind that whole-hearted giving really has nothing to do with money and everything to do with the heart. Were we to never have a cent to give, we could still find the joy of this whole-hearted giving. It’s about giving of ourselves, surrendering all we have and are for God’s glory.

I am challenged to live that whole-hearted giving more faithfully. To more readily surrender myself day in and day out that I may rejoice in this contagious way and so draw more people to Christ.

No comments: