Thursday, February 24, 2011

In Him

You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. 2 Tim 2:1

One of the things that grieves me the most in my friendships is seeing people I once prayed with, studied the Word with, and grew with slip away from a hunger for the Lord. They get distracted by the world, pulled away by other arguments, or disheartened by struggles. It is heartbreaking, partially because I know they will endure a deep ache until they return to the path. But, I have to confess that the greatest pain is my own grief in knowing that we have lost much of our common ground.

This is not to say that I never struggle or waver – not at all. Simply that as I finished 2 Timothy 1 and began chapter two, these are the thoughts that flowed through my mind.

It is hard sometimes to keep pushing on when I’ve lost friends this way. I can almost sense that Paul is seeing the same thing in Timothy. Paul has just mentioned three people – two who turned away from Paul and one who went out of his way to meet Paul’s needs. Then Paul tells Timothy to be strong in what he knows. I can almost sense here a statement of, “Don’t let what anyone else is doing be your discouragement or encouragement. Just be strong in His grace alone.”

I need the support and encouragement of godly friends, but I cannot let them be what holds me steady. They will change. I will change. We will have good days and bad, good years and bad. But, when it all comes down to it, we are not each other’s foundation. That has to be Christ Himself. I am challenged to make sure that my strength is found Him and His grace alone, not being swayed by the path of anyone else.

No comments: