Saturday, February 19, 2011

Challenge: The Truth of Discipline

For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline. 2 Tim 1:7

Today the word “discipline” really hammered me. First of all, there is the simple fact that I have not been very disciplined lately. So, I am convicted.

But, there’s a further thought. This discipline is not just what I need to eat well, keep the house clean, exercise, and move smoothly through each day (all things I have struggled with this week).  Yet, that is frequently what I limit the discipline to, narrowing my mind to contemplate only the temporal and immediate.

I won’t argue that those things are unimportant. In fact, at least in my life, when I am diligent in those areas, I am more diligent in overall obedience to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. But, I must remember that those disciplines are simply a reflection, not the fullness of, my obedience.

The true Scriptural image of this discipline is that it is what is given to me instead of timidity (2 Tim 1:7); it is intended to strengthen me in the gifts God has laid upon my life (2 Tim 1:6); it is meant to give me the boldness to stand unashamed and not turn away from suffering (2 Tim 1:8).  It is the discipline necessary to boldly spread the gospel of Christ and accomplish the ministry of Christ through me on this earth. It may reveal itself in mundane, daily disciplines, but that is not the true fulfillment of it.

My challenge is to set my perspective right. There are many ways in which that challenge will be practically implemented in my life, so the furtherance of the challenge is to make sure this is not some abstract idea but is instead a concrete action. I’m excited to see what impact this perspective shift has on my daily disciplines.

2 comments:

Hillman Trio said...

Discipline is such a frustrating word! On the side of disciplining kids, it's been a trying 2 days. After reading your perspective it's probably more my fault because I haven't focused on real discipline in me! Thanks for the new perspective.

The Hibbard Family said...

Karlyn, I think that was my biggest conviction this morning, too.