Monday, February 7, 2011

Not Shaken

He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps 62:2

He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I shall not be shaken. Ps 62:6

Two nearly identical statements, with the exception of one word: greatly. Is this progression not beautiful? Both verses show that David knows who God is. But, David is broken. He is struggling. He is hurting. He is tired. The first verse shows that even though David knows God will hold him up, he’s not yet fully convinced that he will be able to stand firm. But, he trusts anyway, and throughout the Psalm he reminds his heart and soul to wait for God, the only one who can give him hope.

As he waits, he grows stronger. Firmer. More confident. And he drops the word “greatly.”

As I look back over journal entries, I see some days when I have just pleaded with the Lord. I’ve laid my heart out before Him and asked Him to heal the pieces. Then I’ve stopped.

But other days, I haven’t stopped. I have instead intentionally moved into praise and trust. And, I have felt the healing begin immediately, even when the pieces are still laying all around me. My journal reflects the change, just as David’s Psalms reflect his changes.

I am challenged to have more days like that. More days when I truly record the change. When I go from not being “greatly shaken” to not being “shaken” at all. My words will not become Scripture, and it is probable that no one will ever read them other than myself. But, even if it is only myself, I still long to write them that I may be reminded of His faithfulness, even when the pieces are still scattered all around me.

No comments: