Tuesday, February 15, 2011

No Grumbling

Do all things without grumbling or disputing; so that you will prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world. Phil 2:14-15

Psalms 119 talks about having an intense love for the Word of God and how that fleshes out. The thing about fleshing out that love for the Word of God is that in just the “right” moment, the Holy Spirit brings it back to my mind. Even if it’s not a verse I’ve specifically memorized, if I have a familiarity with it, He can use it.

Like this morning with these verses from Philippians.

Yesterday I faced my day with an incredible amount of grumbling. Things just weren’t going my way, and I was willing to let everyone know. I never once stopped to ponder the idea that maybe – just maybe – God had other plans. Maybe my plans were in the way, and He needed to make some adjustments to get me where He wanted me. Nope, that never came to mind.

Looking back over yesterday, I realize that if God had some purpose for my day, I flat out missed it. Fortunately, He is a God of grace, and His mercies are new this morning.

I am not where I planned to be today. Circumstances completely beyond my control put a stop to my plans. But, the thing I tend to forget is that those circumstances are not beyond God’s control. He has a plan for today, and since it wasn’t what I expected, I need to be especially sensitive to Him to catch it. I can’t do that if I’m grumbling. So, my challenge is to push that whining away from my heart and get in line with His plan for the day. Not only will I be useful, but I just might enjoy the day a little more in the process!

1 comment:

Hillman Trio said...

Just had this conversation with Sawyer yesterday. I always think I'm flexible but realized yesterday not as much as I think. I believe god throws the kinks in our day on purpose just to get us to trust his agenda!!!
Hope the rest of your day and my day we have open eyes!