Sunday, February 6, 2011

Appropriate Discipline

for bodily discipline is only of little profit, but godliness is profitable for all things, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. 1 Tim 4:8

When taken in context, this verse does not say that we should not be diligent with physical discipline. But, it does point out that the majority of our energy and effort should go into spiritual discipline.

Physical discipline is a tool that leads us to the eternal benefits of spiritual discipline. If I don’t get up before my kids in the mornings, it is harder for me to focus on some personal Bible study time. But, if I get up on time but can’t stay awake because I’m short on rest, am I really exhibiting spiritual discipline?

I need to exercise and eat well to maintain the energy I need to serve my Lord Jesus Christ effectively. But, if I am not willing to sacrifice my exercise routine for a real need, then the exercise becomes my lord instead. If I put so much energy and resources into making sure that I eat perfectly that I neglect positive interaction with others around me, then nutrition becomes my master.

Our family works best when we stick to a schedule and pay attention to the clock. But, what happens to the spiritual development of my child if I she needs my interaction but I cut her off at 9:00 because we have to start school?

As one who fights perfectionism, I have a tendency toward an all or nothing approach to life. If I can’t do it perfectly, why bother? I’m miserable when I’m not physically disciplined, but I can be a tyrant, both to myself and to those around me, when I am overly focused on physical discipline.

It all comes down to this: who is my master? Christ Jesus or the physical discipline?

My challenge is to let physical discipline of all kinds be a tool of service to my true Master, Jesus Christ. May all that I do, whether following the clock, eating and drinking, or anything else, be for His glory and honor. And may spiritual discipline be my greater focus.

No comments: