Monday, February 14, 2011

Exceptions

Now Solomon loved the Lord, walking in the statutes of his father David, except he sacrificed and burned incense on the high places. 1 Kings 3:3

What are my exceptions?

I’m not talking about individual faults and mistakes. Solomon had seen plenty of those in his father David. And, he knew that he wasn’t perfect as well. They both sinned. But, they both loved the Lord as well and hungered to follow him.

But this is different. This exception in Solomon’s life was his area of compromise. His “oh, it can’t hurt to do things this way” choice. Repetitive. Habitual. Decisive.

My current Bible reading is focused on the early years of Solomon’s reign, but I know the whole story. I know that this is just a foreshadowing of his downfall later in life.

God knows my full story. He sees the things that I do habitually and decisively today that are my exceptions to loving Him with a whole heart. And, He knows what the consequences of those actions are.

My prayer today is that He will reveal these exceptions to me. Part of me doesn’t really want the answer, but I know there are things in my life that have to change. There are areas in which I have to grow and change. There are things that will affect my effectiveness for Him. They have to go. Period. They are habitual sins, missing the mark of His perfect plan for me.

I am challenged to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit’s correction in those areas and to change those habits. Though I have far to go in whole-hearted love for my Savior, I hunger to start today to let go of the exceptions that are definitely keeping me from it. 

No comments: