Wednesday, February 9, 2011

View of Life

For to me to live is Christ and to die is gain. Phil 1:21

My family is memorizing Philippians along with several thousand others who have the goal to memorize the whole book by Easter. We’re a couple of weeks behind and probably won’t make it by Easter. But, we’re going to get it memorized.

This week we are on Phil 1:19-26, and I am greatly convicted by it. Nothing tied Paul to this earth other than the conversion and discipleship of those to whom he ministered. Personally, he would have preferred to go on home. But, he knew he had to stay for the sake of the believers.

First of all, I don’t have that view of eternity. I like being a wife and a mommy. I like life. And I like familiarity. We are continually told that this life is fleeting, and I can see that in how quickly my children grow and the days, weeks, and months pass. So, why not enjoy it while I have it? God put me here for a reason, and I’m bound to fulfill that purpose before I head on into eternity.

Maybe that’s not so bad, but then I look at my reason for staying instead of departing. It’s pretty selfish. Look back at what I just wrote. I like, I like, I like. It’s not about the gospel. It’s not about discipleship. It’s about Ann. Ouch!

I hunger to grow in my view of life, both the fleeting life on this earth and the eternal life that is to come. Oh may my purpose for remaining here not be about me. May it be about Him! Wholly and completely about Him and His work. And may I hunger for the day I step into eternity, knowing that being with Christ will be far better.

No comments: