Sunday, February 27, 2011

Combatting Doubt

I’m mulling over a lot this morning, very little of which actually has much cohesion to it. But, I was reading something this morning that made me stop to contemplate two things. 

  1. When doubt rolls in to the hearts of my friends, do I recognize it in their eyes, speech, and heart and speak against it with the truth of God’s Word? Or do I try to comfort with the world’s empty comfort? Or, worse, do I miss it completely?
  2. When doubt rolls in to the hearts of my own family, do we have friends who truly pounce on that doubt with the Word? Or do we receive that worldly comfort that offers nothing? Or is our doubt totally missed?

When doubts assail us, we need the truth of God’s Word to fill our hearts and minds. And, we are responsible to put that Word into our own hearts and minds. We cannot neglect to read it, think about it, recall it, and surround ourselves with it. But, the world yells pretty loudly, compounding our doubts. Sometimes we need at least one human voice outside of ourselves that is speaking pure Biblical truth so that we are not standing alone combatting the both our own doubts and the yelling of the world.

In response to my two contemplations, I am sensing a two-fold challenge. First, I am challenged to be a friend who boldly combats doubt with the Word of God. Secondly, I am challenged to pray for intimate friends who will persistently do the same for me. There is a reason God doesn’t want us to try to walk through this life apart from encouragement, partnership, and interaction with our fellow believers. I want to be a part of that fellowship that makes a difference, that we may truly be turned from doubt.

No comments: