Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Challenge: Open & Listening

This morning I read the account of David taking the census in 2 Sam 24. In 2 Sam 24:3-4, Joab and the commanders of the army argued against the census, trying to talk David out of it. But, David was stubborn. He had his heart set on it, and he was going to do it – actually, he was going to make those who argued against it do it for him!

A couple of things stood out to me in this. First of all, other people have wisdom, too. I wonder how many times I make David’s mistake. I’m so dead set on something that I refuse to acknowledge other options. Even just sitting here pondering this question, I can recall times people have tried to redirect me, and I didn’t want to hear it. I was stubborn, just like David. And it cost me, just like it did David.

Secondly, and even more disturbing, other people will follow me in my stubbornness, even against their better judgment. In this specific case, it was the army’s job to obey David. But, there were many other times in his life when people followed him out of their loyalty. In my life, my children will follow in obedience. My husband’s wisdom keeps him from following blindly, but he will also support me fully in what I endeavor to do. How many others do I influence who will follow me simply because of who I am in their lives, whether I am right or wrong?

I am challenged in two ways. First I am challenged to listen. To learn. To be willing to accept the input of others – with discernment based on the Word of God. To be open to changing my stubborn course.  Secondly, I am challenged to pay attention to how my choices affect other people. Sometimes other people will face challenges because of my obedience, but far be it from me to bring trials to others because of my stubborn disobedience!

No comments: