Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Endure

For this reason, I endure all things for the sake of those who are chosen, so that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus and with it eternal glory. 2 Tim 2:10

I honestly did not intend to write a challenge today. I didn’t get it done this morning, I had a ton of other writing I wanted to do this afternoon, and I started the afternoon behind. But, sometimes I am compelled to do what I didn’t intend. Today is just such an occasion.

This verse from 2 Timothy really grabbed me when I read it first thing this morning. What would I really endure for the sake of the chosen? First, I had to contemplate who the chosen are. Some of them are already believers, but there are others who seem to be about as far from chosen as can be imagined. Would I endure everything for them? Then I had to consider what the phrase “all things” means. I had to contemplate what Paul endured. What persecuted believers around the world endure today. My breath catches in my throat as I think about what little I have endured and what more could await me.

Those thoughts alone were not enough to compel me to sit down and write about it, though. Maybe I was trying to just set it all aside – think about it later. But then as I sat down to write other things this afternoon, I made a quick first stop at my friend Julie’s blog. Every day this month, Julie is posting a theme and some Scripture to pray over our children, and I wanted to be sure to read the verses for today.

Check out the second verse on today’s post.

For some reason, this morning I had all different types of people in my mind as I thought of enduring all things for the chosen – but my children didn’t even come to mind. Julie’s post forced me to ask myself what I would endure for my precious babies?

Obviously as their mother, I would give my life for them. But, as I pondered this verse, all that would come to mind was the thought of being in a position to choose Christ over the immediate well-being of my children. Would I endure the pain of their physical and emotional discomfort to remain true to the gospel of Christ?

There is only one possible answer. I would have to. To not stand firm, even at the risk of their pain, would be to sacrifice their salvation. If they could not see me stand firm, what could they hang on to in the midst of their own suffering and anguish?

This thought is so intense, and I pray that I never, ever have to walk with my children through this sort of endurance. But, there are people around the world in this day and age who are faced with this very dilemma. I am challenged today to pray for them, both parents and children. To lift them up to the Father, knowing that what they face is more intense than anything I can even begin to imagine. And, I am challenged to raise my children in the understanding that we must always, always, always choose to stand firm in Christ, no matter what we are called to endure.

No comments: