Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Faith of Others

Paul, a bond-servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the faith of those chosen of God and the knowledge of the truth which is according to godliness. Titus 1:1 (emphasis mine)

What would happen if I were to stop traveling this journey called life for my own edification? For my own growth? What would happen if I were to stop seeing everything I face, whether joy or struggle, as a lesson or preparation for me?

As I both memorize Philippians and continue through the Pauline letters, I see very frequently how Paul’s life is poured out for others. His heart is for ministry to them. Their growth. Their edification. And he endured much in the process. On his own, Paul would have preferred to simply be done with this life and be with Christ (Phil 1:21). But, he continued to persevere for the sake of others (Phil 1:24-25).

So often as I walk through life, the question I ask is, “What am I going to learn from this?” Or maybe, “How can I respond to this so that God is glorified through me?” Or even, “What is God preparing me for through this situation?”

I wonder what would happen if I would change my focus? If I were to think about the salvation, growth, and edification of others instead of simply contemplating myself?

I know that my growth is essential. But, I am challenged to make my own growth and edification less prominent and to be reminded that God is using me to grow the faith of others as well. As I consider pouring myself out for the faith of someone else, perseverance begins to take on a whole new meaning.

No comments: