Monday, March 21, 2011

Bold Authority

These things speak and exhort and reprove with all authority. Let no one disregard you. Titus 2:15

It’s hard for me to think of myself as having any authority – any reason why others should listen to me and have any regard for what I say. Although I know my spiritual gifts practically insist that I be in positions of spiritual training and leadership, I struggle with having the boldness that is required to exude authority. I am growing in certain arenas, but I still struggle overall.

There is evidence to support the idea that Titus, like Timothy, was considered young at this time. What authority could he have as the leader of the church?

The same I have: the authority of the Lord Jesus Christ and Almighty God.

As long as I teach sound doctrine (Titus 2:1), I am teaching with the authority of Christ and His Word. It is not my own, but it is more than sufficient to be bold and to make a definite claim that what I speak should not be disregarded.

I am challenged to walk in that bold authority. While it is important to make sure that I do not become cocky or proud, trying to claim the authority as my own, it is essential that I stand in the authority of Christ if I am to effectively minister with the gifts He has granted me.

No comments: