Saturday, March 12, 2011

Continuing

You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them, and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 2 Tim 3:14-15

These verses are found within Paul’s discussion with Timothy regarding the difficult times that come with the last days (2 Tim 3:1). When taken all together in context (not a bad thing to do!), verses 14 and 15 are a clear reminder that God gives us what we need to face the difficult times that come our way.

There are times when I walk smack dab into struggles and feel so ill-equipped for the circumstances. But, the problem is not a lack of resources. Instead, it is a lack of proper utilization of those resources.

Paul reminds Timothy that he must continue to walk faithfully in the things he already knows. He must be diligent to remain true to what he learned from both the teaching and the example of Paul. He can’t simply maintain a knowledge bank that he then checks out information from when it’s time to deal with a struggle. He has to daily walk in the truths, keeping them fresh and alive within him.

It is so easy for me to simply hang on to knowledge and wisdom, cataloging it away for a useful day. I take in information, and commit to come back to it when I need it. Unfortunately, with that approach, I can’t seem to find it when I need it. Why? Because it hasn’t become a part of me. I haven’t continued in it daily, assimilating it into my continual walk with my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

I am challenged to continue in the things I have learned, yes, even from childhood. I am challenged to make them a part of me. In doing so, I truly will have all I need to walk through the difficult days that come my way.

No comments: