Sunday, March 13, 2011

Continuing

For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. 2 Tim 4:6

As I read 2 Tim 4:6 and the immediately surrounding verses, I was struck by the comfort Paul must have had in being able to confidently depart and know that the ministry would still be continued.

But then I finished 2 Tim 4 and saw something else. Paul might have felt that his death was imminent, but he also didn’t simply hand over the reigns and be done. 2 Tim 4:9-22 reads like a work memo.

  • Here’s where everyone is and what they are doing. We need to make sure to keep tabs on them so we know what gaps need to be filled.
  • I need these papers, documents, books, etc., to continue in what I’m doing since I’m stuck here.
  • Oh, and Mark “is useful to me for service,” so make sure to bring him.

We know from Phil 1:21-26 that Paul wanted very much to “depart and be with Christ.” Previously he knew he was going to remain, but this time he believes he’s going to die. Yet, he doesn’t stop and say, “Okay, my turn is over! Y’all take over while I spend my last days on earth just hanging out. I’ll see you on the other side!” Instead, he determines to devote himself to work and service to the very end.

I’ve never come to the end of my life, but I’ve come to the end of many other assignments, tasks, responsibilities, and phases of life. I must confess that I tend to quit early. I don’t keep working. I don’t keep striving. I step aside, using the argument that someone else needs to learn how to do the job I’m vacating.

It is true, they need to learn. But, that doesn’t excuse me from service. Even if my service has to change a little bit, I don’t get to stop. God works through me to the very last second, and I must be of service until that same last second. So, I am challenged to learn to continue always, not letting up in my service – even up to the very last moment.

No comments: