Saturday, March 26, 2011

Tested

I thank my God always, making mention of you in my prayers, because I hear of your love and of the faith which you have toward the Lord Jesus and toward all the saints. Philemon 1:4-5

The book of Philemon seems to be full of flattery and manipulation as Paul attempts to speak for the slave Onesimus. It makes me want to study the traditions and practices in the first century Roman world to get a little more background on why Paul’s letter was written this way.

But, regardless of Paul’s foundation for such flattery, verses four and five made me wonder how I would respond in Philemon’s situation.

Paul indicates that he has heard of Philemon’s love toward his fellow believers. Onesimus left Philemon as a thieving pagan slave. He is desiring to return as a repentant Christian brother. Will Philemon’s love for fellow believers extend even in this situation? It comes down to a test of character. Is Philemon’s love really genuine? Will he still show it when the situation hits very close to home?

It is easy for me to hold up certain standards and be known for certain qualities. But, there will always come a time when those standards are challenged. When those qualities are questioned. How will I respond? Will I be consistent and true, or will I falter because it hits too close to home?

I am challenged to be the type of person who is not only willing to stand firm in purity of character when it is easy, but also when it requires personal sacrifice and risk. I am challenged to live in such a way that when I am tested like Philemon was, there can be confidence that I will respond with full godliness.

No comments: