Thursday, March 24, 2011

Trust & Confidence

This is a trustworthy statement; and concerning these things I want you to speak confidently, so that those who have believed God will be careful to engage in good deeds. These things are good and profitable for me. Titus 3:8

Yesterday I received a spiritual knock upside the head with this verse. Paul uses the phrase “this is a trustworthy statement” in multiple places in Scripture, typically referring to a segment of what he has said. But, as I read the phrase yesterday I was reminded that all of Scripture is trustworthy.

My typical response to such a reminder would be, “Well, of course all of Scripture is trustworthy.” What I believe is rooted in my acceptance of the infallibility of the Bible as the Word of God. But, as I think a little deeper I am reminded that there is, in fact, a difference between believing that the Bible is 100% true and inerrant and personally living out the trustworthiness of God’s Word in my own life. I can even believe and teach wholeheartedly the trustworthiness of God’s Word for other people without truly living it out for myself.

In the specific context of Titus 3:8, the trustworthiness of this “statement” is what allows God’s children to speak boldly and with confidence. I don’t speak confidently and teach with boldness because I don’t trust the Word of God. Ouch.

Two things challenge me here. First, I can trust God’s Word. It is true for others, and it is true for me. Period. And I have to live out that trust. Secondly, my authority is found is God’s Word. I am often not confident to speak boldly because I get caught up in one thought: Who am I really to tell other people how they should live? I don’t have that kind of authority! True, I don’t. But God does. And if I am speaking the truth of His Word then I am not speaking on my authority. I’m speaking on His. That means I have to be very careful to only speak the truth of His Word, but it also means I can speak with full confidence.

No comments: