Monday, March 7, 2011

Challenge: True Godliness

…holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power; avoid such men as these. 2 Tim 3:5

As I read 2 Tim 3:1-4, I see a glimpse into my own heart. That’s a terrifying and ugly glimpse, to be sure. The beautiful thing is that even while I’m staring into my own disgusting darkness, I see clearly the blood of Christ covering every ounce of it. I know that all of this has been buried with Christ and I have been resurrected to a beautiful, new, pure life.

At the same time, however, there is a reason the New Testament is so full of specific instructions regarding the process of living up to the standards to which we have been saved. We cannot earn our way into God’s favor, but once we have God’s favor we should passionately hunger to put full energy into putting aside the filth that keeps us from purity.

In that process, it’s so easy to fall into the legalism of a checklist. “If I can just do this, this, this, and that, I can keep myself clean.” That is where I see verse five come into play in my own life. My actions, day in and day out, come down to a list-checking form of godliness that has no resemblance to the power of the Holy Spirit in my life to produce godliness in keeping with the salvation of Christ in me.

I am challenged to make sure that I am a living, growing believer in Christ, fully allowing the power of true godliness to flow through me. I hunger to be a true and vibrant example of the amazing presence and love of God in the hearts of mankind. 

No comments: