Thursday, October 8, 2009

Pretense of Righteousness

So they watched Him, and sent spies who pretended to be righteous, in order that they might catch Him in some statement, so that they could deliver Him to the rule and the authority of the governor. Luke 20:20 (NASB) But He detected their trickery...Luke 20:23a (NASB) When I first read verse 20 this morning, I scoffed at such a ridiculous move. As I've read through the Gospels, I've seen multiple examples of Jesus knowing what was in the hearts of the Pharisees, scribes, and teachers of the law - times when He could discern their thoughts. They had experienced this, and yet they still "sent spies who pretended to be righteous." Come on, people, how dumb can you be! But, as I was making a few notes on these verses in my journal, I was hit hard with the reality of my own pretenses. How many times have I come before the Lord in my prayer time, Bible reading, and even in public situations with a pretense of righteousness, knowing deep in my heart that I was not walking in communion with the Lord? He can see right through me, but I still put up my pretenses. I still claim to be all that, even with that uneasy feeling in my gut that reminds me He is not fooled. The spies walked away amazed and silenced because of their foolish approach to Him. As His child, that is not what He desires for me. I am His. He has chosen me and drawn me to Himself. He desires for me to relate to Him. To sit at His feet and hear His voice. He knows my junk. He knows my unrighteousness. He knows my sin. But, He chose me anyway, and He cleansed me. I don't have to put up pretenses - I just need to be in His presence. No more pretenses of righteousness, before Him or anyone else!

No comments: