Monday, October 12, 2009

No Fear

When I am afraid, I will put my trust in You. In God, whose word I praise, in God I have put my trust; I shall not be afraid. What can mere man do to me? Psalms 56:3-4 (NASB) We often work hard to gird ourselves up for the hard times. We read verses like these in the good times, and then try our hardest to dredge them back up when we are going through the rough patches. We are thankful for the comfort of the words of David when we are going through hard times because we struggle with coming up with the words ourselves. David, however, wrote this in the middle of a very rough time. He had been captured by the Philistines, and was truly doubtful as to whether or not he could escape with his life. The Philistines did not like David. Why would they let an Israelite hero who had struck a huge blow against them escape with his life? In the middle of these circumstances, David wrote, "What can mere man do to me?" The "mere man" he referred to could take his life. That's what they could do to him! Oh, how I long to have the faithfulness of David in the midst of a challenge. This is how I want to be! This is how I want to live! Oh, may I be able to say from the depths of my heart... In God, whose word I praise, in God I have put my trust; I shall not be afraid.

No comments: